Wednesday, December 10, 2003

TMNT - The turtle saga continues.

First there were the comics, about 4 weird guys with shells, who liked pizza, and could do some nifty ninja stuff, written by Eastman and Laird. Then in the late 80's (87ish) Arrived the animated TV show. This was a lot lighter in tone than the comics, being aimed mostly at kids (and even then it got edited for the UK market where it is apparently illegal to use the word 'Ninja' on TV so they got called the Hero Turtles there). And this was fine and fun, and sparked a huge craze. I liked it. It was self-referential and fun. (Ok, My favourite Turtle was Donatello, hey he's a science geek and wears a purple bandana, how could I resist?)

And then there came the Movies. Live action. First one was OK, the animatronic turtles were interesting but a guy in a rubber suit just doesn't look smooth when fighting.
The second, so so, the third I didn't bother with.

Then there came the live action TV series *shudder*. I saw a couple of bits of this and was appalled. Very juvenile baddies, mostly the same ones every week (no I didn't watch it that often...it was on before something else I watched, honestly) and again the anamatronic suits just couldn't pull off the grace of ninjas. And, in an attempt possibly to be PC, they added a 5th turtle. Female. Who could do magic (URGH).

And now this year comes a new animated series. Channel 10 has it on in the morning around 8am so I caught an episode while eating breakfast, watched another today. I think I've missed a couple so it's hard to say for sure, but the new series seems to be following the original comic series much more closely. (Well, not totally, but much much closer than the original animated series.) Scenes from the comic book, if not the exact storyline (the change of mediums most likely to blame there) are in the new series, which is in feel a lot darker than the original animated series.

I wonder if we'll see the Triceratons in this one. (The Cerebus crossover I'm not expecting)

So far I quite like it. Time will tell.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home